Sunday, May 6, 2012

Hibachi @ Home!

Obviously, MS and I have quite a unique set up in that we are both going through this at the same time. Everyone recommended against it, the doctors, family, everyone. I knew in my heart that was the way it was going to go, and we just went with it.

I can't even explain in words how grateful I am to have someone to go through this with. It's interesting because I think I'm tougher than MS when it comes to pain and feeling bad, and he's one thousand times tougher when it comes to sticking to the rules and playing everything by the book. So after surgery when he didn't want to get up I kept pushing to get him up and walk. On the flip side, when I slip a piece of food in my mouth after a fill, when I'm supposed to be on liquids, he always catches me. It balances out nicely.

I always wonder what it would be like if I were doing this on my own, or if we had kids to keep up with. I can't even imagine the temptations around and if I could stick to the rules as easily as I do now.

The reason I'm saying all of this is that when I make new meals, I always think if it would work for someone else who lives with non-bandsters. I love the muffin tin meals, because regular eaters can take an extra meatloaf or lasagna for a full serving. Or they can add a big salad to the side of it because, let's be real, who gets tempted by a salad?

So tonight, I made stir fry for the first time ever. I wanted to do it hibachi style so MS could make his how he wanted and I could make mine with broccoli. While I was making it I thought about how great that would be to make for a group and still control my own portions.

So this is what you need:
Protein: I did chicken tenderloins
A variety of fresh veggies: I bought, Zucchini, Mushrooms, Green Beans, Broccoli and Ginger
A variety of Asian/Thai Sauces: I did Oyster Sauce, Thai Sweet Chili, Peanut Sauce
Some other things I already had on hand were: Rice Vinegar, Chili Oil, Coconut oil, Soy Sauce, Honey, Salt, Pepper, Garlic powder

I chopped everything ahead of time, marinaded the chicken and put it in the fridge. When MS got home from golfing I just heated up the pan and coconut oil and made dinner.

For portion control we put a bowl on the food scale and zero'd it out. We just added the marinaded chicken and whatever veggies we wanted. Tossed in the sauce of choice and threw it in a very hot pan with coconut oil. It was wonderful. Everyone can have only what they like and can mix up flavors and of course everyone has as much or as little as they want!

Thumbs up!


4 comments:

  1. sounds yummy. It is challenging on both fronts my hubby and kid are not on a diet and don't need to be, BUT they are enjoying eating more healthy. To me its ok except when they cheat and get food I would like to get but can't...they stick with me and my food 75% of the time otherwise they eat what they want...more challenging is finding time to exercise the way I want

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I will have to try this when I can eat again. We do love to go to Mongolian BBQ and I've been training myself for the last year not to have noodles. mmmmm...food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you didn't listen to everyone and have your husband to go through this experience with!

    ReplyDelete