Wednesday, December 21, 2011

3 Days Post Op - Feeling Good

Well we are still doing great. We both slept very good last night and felt improvement when we woke up.  Today is the first day that both of us were able to drink all of our protein. I'm still sipping on my water and I just can't seem to get all of my hydration fluid in, but i still have some time tonight.

There are still some gas pains that we are both experiencing, but walking and changing positions while sitting or laying really helps move it out. We were told to sleep with our heads elevated but I really have a hard time sleeping like that. My shoulders tense up and I get a stiff neck. To stave that off, I've been changing my pillows througout the night and I use a heated neck and upper back pad every morning to keep everything loose. For me, having  stiff neck intensifies every other ache and pain I have.  The good news is that I didn't take any pain medicine today at all. I think MS took a half a pill.

To give you an idea of what our days have looked like so far. Our goal set by the surgeon and nutritionist is that we drink 1-2 oz (2 being the ultimate goal) of a nutritionally complete protein drink at the top of every hour. It should take us 15 minutes to sip those 2 oz. WOAH, right? I actually thought it would be a lot harder than it is. But I still tend to drink too fast. To slow myself down I start by pouring 2 oz of protein and leave it on the kitchen counter. I then walk around the entire downstairs of my house. At my current speed, my path takes about 1 minute. As I pass by the protein I take a sip. I try my absolute best to stretch that out for 15 minutes.  As I gain back strength, my walking speeds up, so I have to adjust for that, maybe two laps in 1 minute, or smaller sips.

Today my protein was 1 chocolate flavored Slim Fast Low Carb Shake with 2 scoops of Body Fortress chocolate peanut butter protein powder. I added water to thin it out. It tasted great and it packed 72 grams of protein. According to my nutritionist, women need to aim for 50+ grams of protein each day and men need 70+.

MS and I have both lost a weight, but I'm really waiting to post the numbers after our 21 day appointment.  We will be on this "full" liquid diet for 21 days. I read on a lot of forums that people start with mushy food pretty quickly, but I trust that Duke is a leading healthcare facility for a reason, so I will follow exactly what they lay out for me! I'm really looking for a double digit weight loss!

No comments:

Post a Comment