Sunday, January 8, 2012

Mexican Beefless Strips

MS and I are meat eaters. The atkins diet has always been a little heavenly for us because we both love all types of proteins. So when our nutritionist mentioned Tofu as a good protein source I just kind of brushed it off... no thanks. I'm not against it, it just has never been appetizing to me.

Well, MS has been researching foods with the most protein and today he stopped by the meatless section at trader joes to check out the nutrition labels. He found these beefless strips that have 20 grams of protein per serving. I was reluctant, but agreed to try them. For dinner tonight I dressed them up with taco seasoning, cheese, sour cream and tamed jalapenos and I must say, I think they were outstanding.

I'll definitely try the other meatless varieties they offer. At this stage of our diet, we would not be able to eat strips of steak like that. The beefless strips were softer and easy to chew.

Check them out for sure, I was truly the biggest skeptic.

1/3 package beefless strips
Cumin
Taco Seasoning
small amount Olive Oil or Butter
Tamed Jalapenos
Shredded Cheddar
Sour Cream
Salsa
by the way, these are pretty amazing too!

Saute the strips in heated pan and oil or butter. Generously coat the strips with taco seasoning and cumin. Just heat up the strips, do not overcook. Plate the strips and garnish with cheese, jalapenos and sour cream or salsa. Guacamole would be great too!


For meals like this I just put the plate on my food scale and layer ingredients until I reach 4 oz.

1 comment:

  1. I am crying over here. We dont' have a TJ's here :( Whaaaaaaaaaa
    Anytime I travel to a town with one, I stock up on some things but obviously not things like this. I am so jealous! They sound great. I have a lot of great tofu recipes so am happy to know it's something I will eventually be able to "doctor" up and add to recipes.

    ReplyDelete