Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Super Secret Hummus Recipe

I was going to keep this recipe a secret because I've never done that before. But what fun is having a recipe that no one else gets to try. Last year I started making my own hummus and people always go crazy over it. A few weeks ago one of my co-workers said, "Oh your hummus is legendary." The funny thing was she had never even had it before!

I prefer it to the pre-made stuff because it actually goes bad. You can buy a package of hummus at any store and throw it in your fridge for months and it never gets moldy. After 2 to 3 days, my homemade hummus gets great big fluffy green mold all over it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a mold enthusiast, I'm allergic to the stuff. But when I saw that I kept thinking what the hell are we eating? How in the heck does hummus that has been made, packaged, shipped around the country, stocked on shelves and then purchased days later not get moldy after a month in my fridge? If cancer is literally cells that are supposed to die off but don't ... then maybe the chemical preservatives in our food have something to do with that.

Anyways, I digress. Here's the recipe, I made it up on a whim and it is CRAZY good. It packs some heat, so if spicy food bothers you sit this one out.

1 can chick peas (reserve juice from can)
3 cloves garlic Juice from 1 lemon
2 heaping tablespoons Tahini
About 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Parsley -or any mix of green spices you have on hand
(Everything above this line is my base recipe you can stop here and skip to the directions if you'd like)
2 tablespoons of adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers
Cumin
Dried Cilantro
2 teaspoons of dark brown sugar

Start by spooning the chick peas and some liquid from the can into the food processor. You'll end up with a little less than 1/2 a can of juice left over. Set the can and remaining juice to the side, you'll need that for texture later. Pile the rest in the food processor. Throw the lid on and let it process for quite a while until it looks smooth. If the texture is too thick add more juice or olive oil until you get a nice smooth consistency. Taste it right away to see if there is anything missing and add spices as you see fit. You can eat it right away, but it's so much better if you cover and refrigerate for a few hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment